Have wet conditions gotten in the way of your normal walk, run or play time at the park? Are you in search of some ideas for entertaining your dog when the weather outside is “frightful”? There are lots of stimulating activities that will keep you and your dog happily enjoying one another’s company, no matter how gloomy it is outdoors. It’s all about spending time together in interesting ways.
1. Take your dog to visit a friend, relative or neighbor who would be cheered by some dog-petting therapy.
2. Teach your dog a new trick, such as lying down and resting her head sadly on her paws when you say, “It’s raining.”
3. Go outside and play in the snow or splash in the puddles. (If your dog had her way, this would probably be her first choice.)
GET THE BARK NEWSLETTER IN YOUR INBOX!
Sign up and get the answers to your questions.
4. Have a canine spa day at home—give her a bath, clean her ears, cut her nails and brush her coat.
5. Play a few rounds of indoor hide-andseek. Have your dog stay, and then hide. Release her and call her to you. When she finds you, greet her with something that will make her happy, like treats, a game of tug, a chew toy or a belly rub.
6. Buy a new toy for each of you and hang out together while you enjoy them; better yet, buy a toy you can share.
7. Practice the art of canine massage. To learn, start with a great video, Bodywork for Dogs: Connecting through Massage, Acupressure, and Intuitive Touch by Lynn Vaughan and Deborah Jones.